Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Com'on Dad, Let's Hunt!

Rector's Rambling, December 2014

Oscar Doing What He Was Bred and Trained To Do!
Cold brings out the best in dogs of all kinds, and Oscar is no exception.  The woods were magical today, and the game was running.  The temperature hung somewhere in the mid teens in the early afternoon, and I was due a break after the responsibilities of last week's Diocesan Convention- so, I think everyone who knows me knows where I was and what I was doing, with faithful Oscar out front all the way. 

Winter has always been my favorite season, and I do love the snow.  But as CS Lewis points out in "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe," winter without Christmas just wouldn't be the same.  For those of us who grew up in northern climes, the snow means that our celebration of the Birth of Jesus is just around the corner, and I for one can't wait.  When my world was characterized by barrenness and cold and bone chilling hardship, God sent his only Son into the world to bring me life, and warmth, and plenty.  In short, he saved me and named me as his own, and then Jesus wrapped his arms around me and called me his brother and his friend. 

When we were walking through the woods today, the branches hung low with the burden of the snow, and as I moved through the tangle, a gallon or two of snow fell from the trees and went right down my back.  It was invigorating to say the least, but when we finally got back to the house, the warmth and wetness was almost comforting in a primal sort of way.  I could not help but think of the warming love of God which over the years has melted my icy heart and helped me to be so  much more than I could ever have been on my own.

I hope that all of you, my friends, have a blessed Christmas this year.  Remember that our Christmas Eve services are at 4  & 10:30, and on Christmas Day we will gather at 11AM.  I look forward to seeing you there, and to celebrating together the coming of Jesus into the world to bring us warmth, and healing, and salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment