Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Blessings of a Rather Mundane Life

Ready for the Hunt!
After a long absence from blogging, I tried to access "The Country Parson," only to realize that I had been gone so long that I couldn't get in!  So here is my latest offering under a new, more descriptive name. 

It has been a great day, complete with a video Bible Study from All Soul's Langham Place in London, 1928 Holy Communion, and all of the regular sort of administrative tasks and personal discussions that priests so often have.  Lovely wife Rebecca called rather late in the day and suggested I bring home some fresh liver to cook with our garden produce and we had a wonderful dinner on the back porch.  Then I read a few articles from "First Things" and just sat and thought for a while.  I couldn't get the song "Be Thou My Vision" out of my mind, so I just sat and half whistled it while my mind walked in what I can only call the presence of the Lord. 

After such a refreshing time apart, I determined to get out the trap machine and do a bit of shooting before Friday's promised ramble with Oscar the Cocker Spaniel in the woods outside junction City, Ohio.  I shot well, about two boxes of 16 gauge from the upland double gun, and another box from the 12 gauge duck gun, also a double, but longer and heavier, and based on the same frame and stock configuration.  After cleaning the guns, I collected the dogs and we went to the barn to feed Ashley's hunter, Little Princess, and to take care of the chickens. 

In the midst of such blessings, it only seemed right to post a testimony to the same to the glory of God, and to the encouragement of anyone who might be amused or interested or inspired by my rather mundane life.  Truly Jesus is Lord, and his blessings abound in this place I love.  I trust that in the weeks to come, I might re-establish the discipline of posting a few sermons and thoughts from time to time, and that someone out there in the blogosphere might come closer to Jesus through my labors.

1 comment: